- There is only one Independent Variable
- This is the one thing that will be changed on purpose to find out what effect it has on something else.
- Are you changing the height, temperature, amount, liquid, etc.
- Example, if you are testing whether or not water temperature has an effect on the dissolving time of Alka-Seltzer, then the Independent Variable will be the temperature of the water.
- There is only one Dependent Variable
- This is what factor is being observed or measured to see if it is affected by the change theIndependent Variable made.
- What are you measuring and how?
- In the example above, the Dependent Variable will be the dissolving time of the Alka-Seltzer.
- All other materials in the experiment must remain exactly the same.
- In the example above, the thermometer, Alka-Seltzer, type of water, cups, etc.